HolonU - a universal source handling system
HolonU is a multi-platform version of the DOS based HolonX. This system offers the source handling features of HolonForth and is meant to be used with an external interpreter or compiler. HolonU is built in Tcl and I use it presently to build Tcl programs, notably HolonU itself.
This is HolonU handling its own source:
- The source is treated as a collection of program units that are stored in a database.
- Each unit has a database record with an open number of fields for name, source, comments and a good deal of meta-information.
- The program is presented in a browser as a structure of modules, sections and units.
- The structure is universal, not OO, but also handles classes well (example: HolonJ)
- Holon shows both the whole project and the current detail. You know where you are.
- You can choose among three views of the projects.
- Intrinsic hypertext: A unit's name in a definition is also a link to that unit.
- The info pane at the right side shows the units found in searches and recent changes.
- Easy restructuring: move items, rename modules and sections.
- Simple Refactoring, the program evolves to the final version, no need to "throw version one away".
- The browser handles project related documents with links to the source units.
- The complete project is stored in one (database) file. Simple backups.
- The modules are mirrored in external source files for the compiler/interpreter.
- Modules can be exported and imported as marked-up text files.
- Legacy source files can be imported if a little markup is added.
- Interactive testing and code substitution in the running application is possible with a cooperating interpreter (Tcl is great).
- Unit based version control (HolonPlus)
- Unit based test code (HolonPlus).
- The sample system is prepared for interactive development of Tcl applications.
HolonU is offered here as a free multi-platform starkit package.
The system includes a demo program and a user's guide with an introductory tutorial.
Download HolonU for
Holon is provided under this MIT-style License.